Skip to content

University of Utah regulation (Individual Financial Conflict of Interest Policy 1-006, effective July 2020) requires the following individuals to file a disclosure to the University, on at least an annual basis, of their and their family members' financial relationships with external business entities which are reasonably related to the individual’s responsibilities to the University, so that potential financial conflicts of interest can be properly identified:

  • Faculty, excluding (a) emeritus faculty, (b) visiting faculty, and (c) adjunct faculty who do not hold an appointment in a Health Sciences school or college
  • Staff employed at the manager level or above
  • Staff with purchasing authority or delegated purchasing authority, including account executives and their delegates, staff authorized to use an institutional credit card (e.g., Purchasing Card or PCard), and staff authorized to make purchases through UShop. (Additional information can be found on the COI Office’s webpage – Guidance for Purchasers.)
  • Employees who participate in research, scholarly or educational activity, or transactions

These individuals should file a financial disclosure (even if they have nothing to report) at the start of each academic year online in the Business Relationship Reporting (“BRR”) system, which is the institutional tool the University uses for conflict of interest reporting processes across campus. Instructions are provided below.

• Login
Please login to the Business Relationship Reporting system at the following site using your CIS/Network login.

Or, access the site through Campus Information Services by searching for ‘BRR’ or ‘COI.’

• Training
If you have not used the BRR tool previously, you will need to complete a short training when you first log in. This training is required every four years.

• Definitions
You will have an opportunity to review the definitions for terms such as "Business Entity" and "Family Member." Remember that University policy requires disclosure of certain relationships regardless of whether you are compensated for the activity.

• Section 1: Professional, Foreign, and Financial Relationships
Only if reasonably related to your professional responsibilities at the University, you must report:

  • Any employment outside of the University of Utah for yourself or your family members. “Employment” is defined as a position that generates an income and includes self-employment.
  • Any professional (including unpaid) and financial relationships for yourself and your family members for the past 12 months andany future relationships for the next 12 months. For the academic departments and colleges/schools, a copy of the disclosure will be routed to your chair/chief for approval. Faculty and staff should update their disclosure in BRR within 30 days of acquiring a new financial relationship.

All employees having professional relationships with foreign entities and/or foreign individuals (as defined in that section in BRR) are required to disclose those interests by answering “Yes” to the existence of a foreign relationship and complete the required additional questions.

• Section 2: Intellectual Property
Records of University-owned intellectual property should automatically populate in your disclosure from the Partners for Innovation, Ventures, Outreach & Technology (PIVOT) Center databases. Please review for accuracy and make additions as necessary, including to make a report of non-University owned intellectual property that is related to your professional responsibilities at the University.

• Section 3: Travel
If you have had travel or related expenses paid by a foreign entity, you are required to disclose travel details in this section.

If you are an investigator responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research sponsored by the Public Health Service (PHS) or who is seeking funding from PHS, you are required to disclose your sponsored travel in this section.

• Section 4: Certify
Once all information has been entered, you will review and certify your disclosures.

Contact the following groups if you have any questions about the certification process:
Technical Questions:
Process Questions: Conflict of Interest Office or (801) 587-3232

Thank you for your help with this annual process.

University of Utah Conflict of Interest Office

Last Updated: 10/1/21